Thursday, August 29, 2013

Romans 3:10

Hey Brethren:

Romans 3:10 is the first verse on the Roman highway.  It says, "AS IT IS WRITTEN, THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NO, NOT ONE"

Here is how I try to memorize scripture.  I can say that I know and can quote quite a bit of scripture but my problem is I don't always remember where that verse is in the Bible.  I don't think that is a bad thing but sometimes when I am sharing scripture with an unbeliever, I don't know where to go to prove the Bible says that and if I try to find it, flipping from book to book or verse to verse, I stand the chance that I lose the person's interest and the devil can convince him/her that I don't really know what I'm talking about.  So I believe it helps if we know chapter and verse.

I use the topical method to remember the verse I want to quote.  So with this verse I have come up with the topic, "Nobody's righteous". Then I memorize the verse's chapter and verse, then the scripture itself, then repeat the chapter and verse to help me remember where it is at, in the Bible.  Just because I use the topic, "Nobody's righteous", is another thing that is not set in stone.  You can make up your own topic to say that best helps you.

For instance, I will say to myself, "Nobodies righteous, Romans 3;10, AS IT IS WRITTEN, THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NO, NOT ONE.  Romans 3:10".  Saying the chapter and verse, before and after the scripture helps to cement it into my mind as to where the scripture is in the Bible.

Start with this verse and next week we will learn another one.  Remember, it is better to know one verse well than to partially know a bunch of verses.  When I am memorizing, some verses are a cinch and I memorize them right away and other verses take me a long time.  Try to avoid moving on to the next verse until you have the previous one memorized.  Use the translation that you are comfortable with, like I said, I will always use the KJV but its not necessary.  What works for me isn't necessarily what you have to do.

Always pray for understanding and help as you do this.  God Bless you as you take on this adventure with me.

In Christ,
Brother Bill

Please check out my other blog by clicking this link riverrat

No comments:

Post a Comment